What is Chiropractic? Request an Appointment:
Chiropractic is a system of health care that focuses on the fact that the body has an ability to heal itself providing that proper homeostasis (balance) and alignment within the body is maintained. Proper balance is maintained though alignment of the spine, optimal health and nutrition, exercise, stress control and reduction, and the removal of toxins within the body. Health and the prevention of disease must be tackled from a comprehensive approach.
What are Chiropractors looking for when they examine the spine?
As chiropractors, our objective is to analyze the spine and locate and correct subluxations. When a misalingnment is found, an adjustment is given, reducing the misalignment and helping the body put the bone back to it's correct position. This results in improved segmental functioning, improved circulation, and increased stimulation to the nervous system. The correction to these misalignment occurs over time allowing the natural healing abilities of the body to work at maximum efficiency.
How do Chiropractors approach health?
Chiropractors work to strengthen the body's systems and prevent injuries and disease. Disease is a process that occurs over time; very rarely does sickness suddenly emerge out of the blue, it has it’s origins in subtle imbalances that develop in the body. Sickness may be related to being out of balance physically, emotionally, or chemically. If any any of these area dominate the other the result can be dis-ease or the break form optimum health and performance. Chiropractors focus on health and wellness by looking at all aspects that are important for maintaining optimum health. One of these components is realizing that misalignment in the vertebral column can produce mechanical problems that can create a state of less than optimal functioning. Misalignment in the spine are called vertebral subluxations, vertebral subluxations can lead to mechanical disorders can affect the functioning of the body: spinal misalignment can affect:
1. Proper movement of the spine, which can decrease the ability of the the spine to function optimally,
2. Affect the bodies ability to maintain proper circulation.
3. Affect the nervous system by pinching nerves and/or decrease the amount of neurological propagation of information decreasing the activation of receptors in the joints and muscles of the spine. Thus having a neurological consequence.
The diagnoses of misalignment and the early detection of mechanical problems within the spine are important preventive steps that can be taken in order to take care of the vertebrae of the spine, the spinal nerves that exist the spine and the spinal cord itself. When misalignment or fixations are not treated they will become more severe over time and have a greater negative result on your spinal column, the nervous system and the individuals overall ability to enjoy life and maximize there human potential.
It does not matter what the practitioner calls the misalignment in the joint, The word subluxation define in Latin means “ somewhat or slight” (sub) and “ to dislocate (luxate), which us basically saying that a body is misaligned or out of place, some refer to them a fixation, or merely as a lose of normal motion or movement, they are basically saying he same thing. When Doctors of chiropractic talks about the misalignment or problems in the spine, they are talking the five components that contribute to the vertebral subluxation complex (VSC).
1. Bone Component-where the vertebra is either out of position, not moving properly, or are undergoing degeneration. This frequently leads to a narrowing of the spaces between the bones through which the nerves pass; often resulting in irritation or impingement of the nerve itself.
2. Nervous Component-is the disruption of the normal flow of energy along the nerve fibers, causing the messages traveling along the nerves to become distorted. The result is that all of the tissues that are fed by those nerves receive distorted signals from the brain and, consequently, are not able to function normally. Over time, this can lead to a whole host of conditions, such as peptic ulcers, constipation and other organ system dysfunction.
3. Muscular Component-since nerves control the muscles that help hold the vertebrae in place, muscles have to be considered to be an integral part of the vertebral subluxation complex. In fact, muscles both affect, and are affected by the VSC. A subluxation can irritate a nerve, the irritated nerve can cause a muscle to spasm, the spasmed muscle pulls the attached vertebrae further out of place, which then further irritates the nerve and you have a vicious cycle. It is no wonder that very few subluxations just go away by themselves.
4. Soft Tissue Component-the VSC will also affect the surrounding tendons, ligaments, blood supply, and other tissues as the misaligned vertebrae tug and squeeze the connective tissue with tremendous force. Over time, the soft tissues can become stretched out or scarred, leaving the spine with either a permanent instability or restriction.
5. Chemical Component-is the change in the chemistry of the body due to the VSC. Most often, the chemical changes, such as the release of a class of chemicals called “kinins,” are pro-inflammatory; meaning that they increase inflammation in the affected area.
These changes get progressively worse over time if they are not treated correctly, leading to chronic pain, inflammation, arthritis, muscle trigger points, the formation of bone spurs, loss of movement, as well as muscle weakness and spasm. Chiropractors have known the dangers of the vertebral subluxation complex ever since the birth of the profession. More and more scientific research is demonstrating the tremendous detrimental impact that subluxation have on the tissue of the body. In order to be truly healthy, it is vital that your nervous system be functioning free of interference from subluxations. Chiropractors are the only health professionals trained in the detection, location, and correction of the vertebral subluxation complex through chiropractic care.